Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Houston, the Eagle has landed.....at Lake Oconee.

Okay, the title might be a bit overdramatic. Our practice Sunday was not quite as historic and memorable as man's landing on the moon, but it was important to Team 3 Dawg Flite.

You see, our dock diving club has not had a practice since last August. Back then, we had a terrific practice facility. We were having fun, exciting practices. Everyone was doing so well. Then, all of a sudden, we couldn't go back there any longer.

Now, my mom and dad never told us exactly why we couldn't go back. But I do remember hearing them talk about the owner of that facility a lot back then. I know they were not happy at all because when they talked about him, they used their "bad puppy" voices.

But enough about that. I'm digressing. On to the good stuff....dock diving! Not to toot my own horn here, but I did pretty darn good Sunday. Here's a series of photos my dad took of one of my jumps. As you can see, when I get up there on that dock, I'm all business.


It's hard to describe the feelings I have as I'm doing a dock dive. My mom is down at the end of the dock shaking the duck or flappy or bumper....getting me all keyed up. My whole body starts quivering just waiting for those magic words, "GET IT, GIRL!" Sometimes it seems like an eternity up there on that dock, sitting, fidgeting, wanting that toy so very badly.

I keep thinking, "Come on, mom. Say it. Say it. Release me. Please." And when that moment happens...when the euphoric sound of those three words, "GET IT, GIRL!" reach my readied ears, it's like the floodgates have been opened...the charge has been sounded...the heavens have parted and the archangel has....well, okay, maybe I'm getting carried away.

But is it a terrific feeling taking off after that toy, flying off the dock and splashing down in the water with that toy securely in my mouth.

Here is my favorite shot from Sunday's practice. Ya know, it just doesn't get any better than this.

This photo shows it all. I never take my eyes off that duck as I reach for it the entire time. But, look at my feet. Notice how I have all my toes spread out preparing for my landing.

Hey, maybe the title of this post wasn't all that far off after all.

See you on the dock,
Sally, the Captain of Team 3 Dawg Flite
Proud member of Dixie Dock Dogs
Dixie Dock Dogs video

6 comments:

Mason Dixie said...

Wow what great pictures, I hope this summer I will get to show you my dock jumping skills, might not be as far or high as you, but I love to do it. Until then, I will just climb my mountains of snow. =)

Chester said...

What GREAT pictures! I tell you, I am getting all butt-wiggly w/excitement for your team. I know I would absolutely love it if I got to try it. I think I overheard Mom talking about taking me to the Fun Jump that Keystone Dock Dogs is having for rookies like me on Feb 7th. Oh boy, oh boy! I don't know if I can wait that long! It's like fur-ever! Chester
ps. Take lots of pictures so I can learn from you experts!

Martha said...

Thanks for visiting our blog we love meeting new people.
We have just had a look at your pictures and oh boy were we impressed!
That bit with the feet getting ready for the landing on the water.......
Of course we could never do that - we dont even know if we can swim yet although we believe some basset hounds can!
love
Martha & Bailey xx

Martha said...

Sorry we deleted you comment from the video of Martha & Bailey. This was because we tried to edit it and then lost the whole thing!
We have reloaded it now but minus comments - sorry............

PTdogger said...

Sally, you are AWESOME! My dog would never do that. I am impressed.

Chester said...

Ohhhhh Hop-peeee! The word goin' around town is that you made a snack outta the team's new bag they use for dock diving. Shame, shame, shame! I would never do something like that. Wink, wink, nudge,nudge! Chester