Saturday, April 24, 2010

First AKC Jr. Hunt Test. The Tale of Two Misfits.

My mom has been saying for a year that she wants me to get an AKC Junior Hunt Title. That’s fine with me. It means I get to go run out in the fields retrieving ducks, and it just doesn’t get any better than that.

We’ve been working for a year on these special skills. As far as I’m concerned, you shoot a bird, and I retrieve the bird. Simple as that.

But for this Hunt Test thingy, you have to go through all this special protocol. You can’t talk to your dog here, but you can here. You can’t touch your dog. The old dead duck has to be delivered to the handler’s hand. You can’t say this or that. Pretty complicated if you ask me.

So, we’ve been practicing, and my mom felt like we were ready. She registered us to run today (Saturday) and tomorrow (Sunday) at the Atlanta Retriever Club test down below Newnan, Georgia.

Well, first off, it was raining. No, not raining. Thunderstorming, which meant everything was a muddy mess. And when you have a muddy mess in Georgia, you have a muddy mess to end all muddy messes. Red clay muddy mess!

You would have to understand my mom to see the irony in this. She can’t stand to have a spot on anything…not her clothes, her car, anything. She is a spot freak. So you can imagine how freaked out she was when her car looked like this:

IMG_0529 And this:

IMG_0528But I didn’t mind. I just sat right down in it. Ahhhh…

IMG_0525Now, let me explain about hunt test people. They are very outdoorsey people. My mom is not. She likes the water and boats, but the fields and woods and mud are not her thing…at all!

So all these people were in their camo and rain gear and rain boots.

IMG_0512

IMG_0530

And my mom? Well, she was in blue jeans, a DockDogs t-shirt, her Nu Balance tennis shoes, and her North Oconee High School windbreaker. Oh yeah, and her UGA visor. She stood out like a soar thumb!

IMG_0523

IMG_0526

And me? Well, all of those dogs has bright orange collars or camo collars or something very “field doggish” looking. What did I have on? My collar with the pretty flowers on it.

IMG_0520I know all those dogs were talking about me behind my back.

What else did my mom do that was embarrassing? Well, all of the dogs were in special, really cool field dog kennels. Most looked like this:

IMG_0513 Where was I kenneled? Luxuriously in the back of our Trail Blazer.

IMG_0509And see that multi-colored towel? Well, that was what my mom used to wipe all the mud off my feet every time I got in the car. Soooo embarrassing!

All the other dogs drank water out of their little metal pails. What did I drink out of? My blue plastic water bowl. I could hear those dogs laughing with each lap I took.

IMG_0516And then there were these little orange buildings. A couple of times my mom would drive up there, stop the car, and go inside for a few minutes.

IMG_0527

Each time she came out, got in the car, and said, “Totally disgusting. I’d just as soon go out in the field and pee with you, Sally.” Well, Mom, what’s stopping you? Works for me.

The embarrassment only got worse as the day progressed. Later in the afternoon, we were walking down to the pond with three other ladies and this was how the conversation went:

Lady #1: Wow, will this rain ever end!

Lady #2: Maybe tomorrow?

My mom: Yeah, it’s pretty uncomfortable. I’m not a very outdoorsey type person.

Lady #2: (sarcastically) You don’t say. I think that’s pretty obvious from the way you’re dressed.

Lady #3: Yeah, you’re the only person out her in Nu Balance tennis shoes.

(All four laugh. At what, I have no idea.)

If I hadn’t have been on a leash, I would have ducked my head, turned and slinked away in total embarrassment.

To make a long story short, I didn’t pass today. I passed the two land retrieves. I passed the first water retrieve. But on the second water retrieve, I swam over to where you duck fell, but for some reason, I lost the scent and couldn’t find it.

But my mom was very proud of me. A lot of people said I looked good and showed plenty of field dog talent. They were impressed.

So I guess my mom in her Nu Balance and me in my flowered collar did okay for ourselves. We’re happy.

See you on the dock,

Sally, the Captain of Team 4 Dawg Flite

Proud members of Dixie Dock Dogs

8 comments:

peanuttpaige said...

Hi! I am one of Bonny's friends, and she told me about this blog! This is such an awesome idea! Have you read "The Art of Racing in the Rain?" It's written from a dogs perspective, and it's really great!

bonnylynn11 said...

Stay strong in your Nu balance and flowered collar! Nothing to be embarrassed about Sally. You'll get'em next time!

Unknown said...

That's totally cute! Good job even if you didn't pass them all - don't worry about with the field dog people think, all the Dock Dog people still think you two are heroes!

Anonymous said...

I like it's Unbelievable look,feel,and weight to these pants.They have a professional,high-quality feel at an awesome price and regarding the size,remember they have elastic in the waistband.

chiefsupply.com/search/tru%20spec.asp

Psychologist Doctorate by Annie said...

Oh my goodness! That is really brave and disciplined of you practicing and hunting all day. I bet you’ll gonna a great hunter and you mom will really proud of you for being a talented dog. Keep it up and practice some more coz’ practice always makes everything perfect. Ciao!

My Webblog: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

obat sakit ginjal said...

Thank you very much for the information that has been conveyed

Obat Flu Bayi said...


World of Animals, Inc said...

Looks like a fun little adventure you took there. You will be a great hunter after some practice. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
World of Animals